Well, there you go, isn't that always the way? Being involved in a show that you would just LOVE to see! But I guess that's the weird price you have to pay when actually being in a kick-ass show like this. During rehearsals of shows, people will ask me,,,"So, how's the show going?" And to me it's always hard to tell. I'm in on it, ya know? I don't get the element of surprsie, or any element for that matter that anyone sitting in the audience for the first time gets. So it's always hard to judge, how well things are going. Ya kinda only really know by the end of a particular night. Or in this case after a particular opening weekend. Which, for my Aunt Adele, (the only one who will read this) opening weekend went AMAZINGLY well!
CONGRATULATIONS to the cast, crew and band for three ROCKIN' Shows!
LOVED LOVED LOVED finally getting out there and performing. It's why we do it right? It's why we search through audition listings, why we prepare a song and in my case at least TRY to make a good first impression, why we go through mini bouts of anxiety, "will I get a callback? did I sound too New York? Did my two left feet really show that bad?", why, when we DO get a call back with a role attatched to the end of it, the wheels automatically start turning, and simply can't wait for rehearsals to start! And when they do, you know it's within the blink of an eye, opening night will be TONIGHT!
It got here pretty quick for me,,,and I bet for Jeff even quicker,,,and of course for Scott, it probably got here the quickest!
I LOVE being a part of our show. Which reminds me, I have yet to thank Scott for letting me be a part of it. Think I'll write a song for him to express my gratitude.
So far I have Top 3 All Time Favorite after show reactions: Margeau's Dad. Now, I don't know how he reacted to meeting everyone else in the cast after the show, but when I met him, his smile when I shook his hand made me feel like I had just won a Grammy, an Emmy AND an Oscar! Reiterating,,,THIS is why I do it!
Second reaction from Charles,,,, At dinner after the show, he asked, "Now, you've had to have done Bruce before right?" I thought he was puttin me on, cause well, remember, I have no idea what I look like up there,,,,90% of the time, my eyes are closed when I'm singing! But no, the only time I've performed as Bruce was in the shower or driving down Thunder Road,,,or okay, maybe "Santa Claus is comin to town" during karaoke during the office Christmas party. But, that'd be it before now.
The third reaction came out of no where! Well, actually it came out of Megan. A beautiful and very talented woman whom I had the pleasure of working with in a production of "Footloose". Hadn't seen her in a few years, and she popped up after the Saturday show to tell me, if anyone could pull it off it was me! She's a Jersey girl and when she said to me, "I've been to a few Springsteen concerts, and THAT's what one looks like!" Oh, let me tell you, it was MUSIC to my ears!!
I told Scott during the first run of "Goodbye and Goodluck" with Jeff that, I don't half-ass anything. That he's gonna get 100% from me everytime. He had a nice chuckle, but I wasn't sure if it was the expression, half-ass, or just the way I tawked. I think either way, it didn't take long for him to know I meant what I said.
I remember telling Jeff in the beginning, "Now, I'm probably gonna laugh a lot talking like Bruce, but I'll get over it" Which I have, but it's still pretty damn funny!
Andrew and I are the only ones in the show actually playing Rock Legends, so for me it took a little more than just becoming someone else for a role. I had to become someone else that EVERYONE in the WORLD knows for a role! So I did the research, watched the videos, and in the process have become a very BIG Springsteen fan!
So big infact, that after our number on stage, instead of counting off the playoff for the band, I wanna start introducing Clarence and Steven and Max, I wanna pull Courtney Cox up on the stage, then start telling a story about what the next song is about and explode right into "Born to Run"!
The quickest and absolute most fun 6 minutes I have EVER had on stage!
Thanks for calling me back Scott!





2 comments:
You are so very welcome, my friend.
Todd, you freaking ROCK!! I love watching you strut out onstage when you do Bruce, but I also love the way you creep around as TMPMITW, like a puppy that has been kicked too many times. You are awesome! Bravo, sir!
Post a Comment